Position: Mechanical Engineer (Full Time, Immediate)
Location: Hybrid: Somerville, MA/Remote
At Altaeros, our mission is to connect people, machines and data, no matter where in the world they are located. We leverage cutting edge autonomy and advanced aerospace technology to build the most effective aerial platform available. Our SuperTowers™ are used to deliver high speed, low-cost broadband to underserved communities, build IoT networks to monitor industrial sites or crop health, provide an elevated vantage point for first responders fighting wildfires or other natural disasters, and any number of other applications.
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for completing designs and may occasionally engage in physical prototyping builds in Fremont, NH. S/he will work with the multi-disciplinary engineering team, manufacturing team, business development team, and project managers. Our work environment is fast-paced and dynamic, with an emphasis on collaboration; we work together to find solutions to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges, and we like to have fun while doing it.
At Altaeros, we believe you do your best work when you are trusted to operate with a high level of respect, initiative and personal responsibility. Our team members enjoy a highly flexible work schedule. Compensation includes salary, equity, and great benefits including unlimited paid time off, health, dental and life insurance, as well as 401k.
Within the First 6 Months:
- Become familiar with Super Tower products and contribute to design and modifications of subsystems
- Participate in design efforts on fabric soft-goods, fiber-based composites, and more traditional structural materials
- Bring designs through the product development process (requirements definition, concept selection, design, procurement, manufacturing, testing, and risk mitigations)
- Run engineering calculations, simulations, and analyses
- Create CAD design packages
- Drive vendor interactions (quoting, selections, buying, and quality assurance)
- Support the manufacturing team in prototype or production builds
- Author test or qualification plans, engage in testing, calculate, and document results
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering
- 2+ years industry experience in the design, build, test processes for mechanical or electro-mechanical systems
- Great hands-on ability, mechanical aptitude, and experience in machine shop fabrication
- High proficiency in 3D CAD such as Solidworks, Inventor, Creo
- FEA experience in ANSYS a plus
- Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) a plus
- Strong drive, interpersonal and communication skills – not afraid to chase things down
- A “Startup Attitude”: quick learner, passionate, nimble, and adaptable – you get creative when the answer is not obvious
If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject [Mechanical Engineer – Your Name] to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Altaeros strives to build a diverse, inclusive environment, where everyone is proud to bring their full selves to bear on the problems we are tackling, regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, CORI status, or disability. We value the diversity of perspectives that comes with a diverse team, and encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.