Position: Principal Electrical Engineer (Full Time, Immediate)
Location: Somerville, MA / Hybrid
At Altaeros we believe everyone should have access to the basic building blocks that allow a fulfilling, prosperous life, whether they live in a megacity or in the most rural of villages. We also believe in the power of innovation to make this a reality. Our SuperTower uses the world’s first autonomous aerostat platform to permanently deploy high-speed mobile broadband in rural markets at a fraction of the cost of alternatives. With this new class of communication infrastructure, we aim to help hundreds of millions of people get online for the first time, unlocking untold new opportunities.
The Principal Electrical Engineer will lead the Electrical Engineering team. The Electrical Engineering team is highly involved in product development at Altaeros. As the Principal Electrical Engineer you will work cross functionally with control, software and mechanical engineering, as well as, system architects, project managers and product marketing. Altaeros is a highly collaborative team whose driving goal is excellence. Altaeros’ potential customers have a wide variety of applications for our Aerostat systems and the team must have the agility to respond to the many different product requirements that arise on short notice.
Altaeros is a rapidly growing team working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Compensation includes salary, equity, and benefits.
If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject “Principal Electrical Engineer – Applicant Name” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Within the first 6 months you will:
- Provide leadership for the Electrical Engineering team, both technical and as the direct manager.
- Review and approve all Electrical designs.
- Provide guidance to the Electrical Engineering team on best design practices.
- Take on design responsibility for complex designs that meet or exceed product requirements
- Provide status reports to Senior Management for all electrical deliverables
- Work collaboratively with the Mechanical, Systems, Controls and Manufacturing teams.
- Ensure that the documentation output of the Electrical Engineering team of requirements, specifications, design description and product changes meet the best practices used across the organization.
- Oversee and contribute to electrical sub-system requirements and specifications
- Evaluate electrical system risks and drive feasibility studies.
- Ensure seamless integration of electrical designs with mechanical design and system controls
- Balance design and execution risk as team, projects, and company scale towards commercialization
- Ensure that the design documents & BOMs for electrical sub-systems meet the guidelines of the organization.
- Supervise and participate in the development of comprehensive electrical systems verification and validation plans, including factory acceptance and in-house testing.
- Lead, develop, grow, and mentor the Electrical Engineering team.
- Thrive in a fast-paced startup development environment and meet aggressive product launch schedules
- BSEE (MSEE is a plus) and a minimum of 10 years of design/leadership experience.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; this role interfaces with many people across Altaeros
- Ability to provide effective mentoring to members of the Electrical Engineering team.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in following the product development process from system definition to Manufacturing.
- Experience in leading multiple concurrent design efforts.
- Familiarity with microprocessor-based control systems is a plus.
- Experience with PLCs and I/O, including both COTS industrial and custom PCBs.
- Familiarity with VFDs and motor controls.
- Skills with electrical design tools and managing the processes and revision control
- Knowledge of 230 V and 480 V power distribution systems a plus
- “Startup Can Do Attitude”: Quick learner, passionate, nimble, attention to detail & adaptable
If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject [Principal Electrical Engineer – Your Name] to email@example.com.
Altaeros strives to build a diverse, inclusive environment, where everyone is proud to bring their full selves to bear on the problems we are tackling, regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, CORI status, or disability. We value the diversity of perspectives that comes with a diverse team, and encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.