Position: Senior Controls Engineer (Full Time)
Location: Hybrid: Remote, Somerville, MA and/or Fremont NH offices
At Altaeros, we are providing an elevated vantage point to connect people, machines, and data no matter where in the world they happen to be located. Our SuperTower is the world’s most advanced autonomous aerostat platform that carries a wide range of payloads to deliver critical communication services to communities, businesses, and industries around the world. Never heard of an aerostat? We’ll teach you! As an engineer at Altaeros, you have the opportunity to define, design, and build a completely unique product. Creating a revolutionized product comes with many fun challenges and often requires thinking outside the box. As a team, we push ourselves outside our comfort zones. Sometimes that leads to success, and other times it leads to lessons which help us improve. When we are continuously learning, we are unstoppable. Does that sound like an environment you’d thrive in? If so, keep reading!
Altaeros seeks a Senior Controls Engineer to join the Controls Engineering Team and guide the autonomous flight controls and automated dispatch development for the SuperTower. As the Senior Controls Engineer, you will have experience developing control software for robots, autonomous vehicles, or any multi-DOF system with complex dynamics. You will work cross-functionally with other Engineers in aerospace, electrical, software, and mechanical engineering, as well as the management team. Altaeros’ potential customers have a wide variety of applications for our aerostat systems and team members must have the agility to respond to the many different product requirements that arise on short notice. Altaeros is a highly collaborative team whose driving goal is excellence. Our work environment is fast-paced and dynamic; we work together to find solutions to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges, and we like to have fun while doing it.
At Altaeros, we believe you do your best work when you are trusted to operate with a high level of respect and integrity. Our team members enjoy a highly flexible work schedule, allowing you to choose when and where you work best. Compensation includes salary, equity, and great benefits including unlimited paid time off, health, dental, and life insurance, as well as 401k.
If interested, please submit your resume with the subject “Senior Controls Engineer – Applicant Name” to email@example.com.
Within your first 6 months you will:
- Prepare and deploy the autonomous controls system for the initial customers including hands-on sensor and actuator commissioning
- Develop unit tests, functional tests and other software quality measures within the Mathworks Simulink environment
- Perform simulations, TiL tests, and flight tests to improve model-based design capability and overall performance of the controls system
- Implement new features and refine the existing autonomous controls system
- Participate in design reviews, systems verification and validation, and document development activities
- Support the operations of the SuperTower at Altaeros R&D Center
- BS or higher in Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, or related field
- 5 years’ experience in control theory and/or controls design within the industrial, energy or aerospace industries
- Hands-on experience with industrial automation hardware, and sensor and actuator commissioning
- Familiarity with PLC programming and IEC 61131-3 languages, and embedded C software development
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink, including real-time control systems simulation
- Knowledge of autonomous control systems
- Knowledge of Model-Based-Design (MBD) principles and best practices
- Knowledge of motor operation and control
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; this role interfaces with many people across Altaeros
- A “Startup Attitude”: quick learner, passionate, nimble, and adaptable- you get creative when the answer is not obvious
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.