Position: Senior Controls Engineer (Full Time, Immediate)
Location: Somerville MA (Right outside of Boston)
At Altaeros we are connecting people, machines and data. Our SuperTowers combine field proven aerostat systems with modern automation and advanced controls. The result expands the realm of possibility for how wireless providers, rural communities, and remote industries stay connected in the hardest to reach places. As a member of the Altaeros team, you will help us achieve our goal of delivering the next generation of infrastructure to those who need it most.
Altaeros seeks a Senior Controls Engineer to join the Controls Engineering Team and guide the autonomous flight controls and automated dispatch development for the SuperTower. As the Senior Controls Engineer you will have experience developing control software for robots, autonomous vehicles, or any multi-DOF system with complex dynamics. You will work cross functionally with other Engineers in aerospace, electrical, software and mechanical engineering, as well as the management team. Altaeros’ potential customers have a wide variety of applications for our aerostat systems and team members must have the agility to respond to the many different product requirements that arise on short notice. Altaeros is a highly collaborative team whose driving goal is excellence. Our work environment is fast-paced and dynamic; we work together to find solutions to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges, and we like to have fun while doing it.
At Altaeros, we believe you do your best work when you are trusted to operate with a high level of respect and integrity. Our team members enjoy a highly flexible work schedule, allowing you to choose when and where you work best. Compensation includes salary, equity, and great benefits including unlimited paid time off, health, dental, and life insurance, as well as 401k.
If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject “Senior Electrical Engineer – Applicant Name” to email@example.com.
Within your first 6 months you will:
- Prepare and deploy the autonomous controls system for the initial customers including hands-on sensor and actuator commissioning
- Develop unit tests, functional tests and other software quality measures within the Mathworks Simulink environment
- Perform simulations, TiL tests, and flight tests to improve model-based design capability and overall performance of the controls system
- Implement new features and refine the existing autonomous controls system
- Participate in design reviews, systems verification and validation, and document development activities
- Support the operations of the SuperTower at Altaeros R&D Center
- BS or higher in Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, or related field
- 5 years’ experience in control theory and/or controls design within the industrial, energy or aerospace industries
- Expertise developing and implementing autonomous control systems
- Deep experience with MATLAB/Simulink, including real-time control systems simulation, signal processing and embedded C/C++ software development
- Knowledge of Model-Based-Design (MBD) principles and best practices
- Knowledge of AC motor operation and control
- Hands-on experience with industrial automation hardware, and sensor and actuator commissioning
- Familiarity with PLC programming and IEC 61131-3 languages
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; this role interfaces with many people across Altaeros
- A “Startup Attitude”: quick learner, passionate, nimble, and adaptable- you get creative when the answer is not obvious
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.