Position: Senior Electrical Engineer (Full Time)
Location: Somerville MA (Right outside of Boston)
At Altaeros we are connecting people, machines and data. Our SuperTowers combine field proven aerostat systems with modern automation and advanced controls. The result expands the realm of possibility for how wireless providers, rural communities, and remote industries stay connected in the hardest to reach places. As a member of the Altaeros team, you will help us achieve our goal of delivering the next generation of infrastructure to those who need it most.
Altaeros seeks an experienced Senior Electrical Engineer to join the Electrical Engineering team in the development of the SuperTower. As the Senior Electrical Engineer, you will lead the design efforts for the lighter-than-air electronics and industrial ground electronics. You will also be responsible for selecting and designing the sensors and controls hardware. You will help to manage and review the work of junior engineers. You will work cross functionally with controls, software and mechanical engineering teams. Altaeros is a highly collaborative team whose driving goal is excellence. Our work environment is fast-paced and dynamic; we work together to find solutions to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges, and we like to have fun while doing it.
At Altaeros, we believe you do your best work when you are trusted to operate with a high level of respect and integrity. Our team members enjoy a highly flexible work schedule, allowing you to choose when and where you work best. Compensation includes salary, equity, and great benefits including unlimited paid time off, health, dental, and life insurance, as well as 401k.
If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject “Senior Electrical Engineer – Applicant Name” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Within your first 6 months you will:
- Perform system architecture, schematic design, and design analyses
- Build and debug electrical cabinets
- Document the electrical requirements, specifications, design description and product changes, as well as, perform engineering evaluation and testing to ensure optimal performance
- Define electrical sub-system requirements and specifications
- Ensure seamless integration of electrical designs with mechanical design and system controls
- Generate design documents & BOMs for electrical sub-systems.
- Identify and maintain vendors for both components and services required for both conventional control enclosures and lightweight airborne systems
- Develop and ensure comprehensive electrical systems verification and validation plans, including factory acceptance and in-house testing
- Balance design and execution risk as team, projects, and company scale towards commercialization
- BS or higher in Electrical Engineering or similar
- 5 years’ experience designing electrical assemblies
- Experience with system sensors selection and debugging
- Experience with PLCs and I/O, including both COTS industrial and custom PCBs
- Familiarity with VFDs, motor controls, and operational theory of closed loop systems
- Knowledge of 230V and 480V power distribution systems a plus
- Skills with electrical design tools and managing the processes and revision control
- Self-starter and the ability to make good, independent decisions
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; this role interfaces with many people across Altaeros
A “Startup Attitude”: quick learner, passionate, nimble, and adaptable– you get creative when the answer is not obvious
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.